On 07/07/2016 10:44 PM, Matt Minuti wrote:
> Apply low, gentle heat? The viscosity of most thermal paste/pads
> changes a lot with temperature. I'd take a hairdryer on low and heat
> up the heatsink, slowly, occasionally attempting to twist the cpu off
> by spinning it about the axis perpendicular to the base of the
> heatsink. Right-hand rule of chip removal, I guess?

That worked fantastically well! I don't have enough hair
to warrant owning a hairdryer at this point, but my wife
had such a machine. I just put it on "low [speed]" and
blew hot air in through the fan on the other side of the
giant copper heatsink. Melted the thermal g[l]oo tout de suite.

And now I'm thinking about upgrading the pots and pans in
my kitchen from aluminum and cast iron to copper....