On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Peter Petrakis <peter.petra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Having said that, I run all Intel with UMA graphics and
> can drive my 4K monitor with a 5 year old thinkpad.

​I do like all-Intel and aim for that. NVIDIA is nice if you need it ... so
there's no point in having it without getting best performance from the
proprietary blob.  But I avoid Broadcom always.  I inadvertently got one
all-Intel, one Nvidia Thinkpad T61 when buying lease-return quasi-refurbs.
(Neither is 14"; Nvidia one has the newer than PCMCIA slot, so i could add
a SD reader.)
   The Nvidia T61 behaves much nicer since i switched to the Tested
proprietary driver.
   The Intel one requires either the 14.04 HW Enablement Kernel update or
16.04 upgrade in order to use a different set of Xorg & Intel driver
patches that are required for Chrome HTML5 to not crash ​the GPU.
   Was going to do that HW enablement kernel, but the fain died so built
out a NUC6i7kyk first :-)     The NUC isn't on Canonical certified list,
but it is listed as Linux tested/supported by Intel.  Windows is not
required to flash the BIOS, yeah!  A cute flash-drive with both USB-A and
micro-USB even allowed me to download BIOS update with tablet ... but
apparently can't update HDMI firmware w/o installing windows? Forums say i
should have one 4k with HDMI, have problems with 2x 4k HDMI, with Linux,
but even one didn't work for me. It could only do 1k4 via HDMI2VGA, not
even 1k7 but that could've been adapter limitation.  Feels like i'd need to
boot Windows and update HDMI firmware, ugh.  (Wind/Dos boot flashdisk
documented as working for one BIOS option but not for HDMI installer. boo
hiss.) But DP port is working fine as 3k5, and one of those is enough !

(Will order a fan later ... )

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1...@gmail.com