Ken D'Ambrosio <k...@jots.org> writes:
> On 2017-06-28 10:31, Richard Kolb II wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm looking into using a pine a64 running ubuntu mate to setup a time
>> lapse photo using a standard digital camera controlled over USB. I
>> haven't done a ton of research into it yet, but I wanted to see if
>> anyone else has done something similar and had some advice/opinions. I
>> was thinking of setting this up first as a way to capture an event
>> going on, and second as a wildlife/security camera.
>
> Well, I bought the Pinebook, and -- given its price, among other things
> -- seems like it would do a fine job using its webcam.  But if you want
> high quality stuff, I suppose a "real" camera is the way to fly, and not
> a webcam (be it part of a Pinebook or something external).

I've been wanted to do some OpenCV projects, so I looked into
webcams. You can get 1080p for under $50 now. Plug and go in Debian
8. (I actually bought 720p for $30, but had to do it twice because the
first time I got one that was for video chat and didn't autofocus.)

Obviously you can use a video cam for snapshots too, so this might be a
good way to go. No need to worry about powering both the camera and the
Pine.