On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Bill McGonigle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, which problem are we solving by imposing a regulatory structure
> on SIG's?

  The one where the Board of Directors is responsible for actions
undertaken by the Legal Entity they represent.

  One of the unfortunate consequences of having something called
"GNHLUG" recognized in the eyes of the law is that there's going to be
some overhead involved.  Entities which already existed prior to us
getting our act together are basically "grandfathered" (i.e., we
didn't submit requirements to any existing chapter/SIG).  But going
forward, there needs to be *some* kind of process involved.  It'd be
nice to just say we'd police as needed, but that's not sufficient.
Anyone who wanted to could claim they're doing something in the name
of GNHLUG.  That would expose GNHLUG to legal liability that I, at
least, cannot accept in good conscience.

  That said, I think we should keep any required overhead to an
absolute minimum.  As a first approximation, I would say it would be
sufficient that any subgroup/chapter/SIG/whatever should:

1. Be recognized and dissolved by decision of the GNHLUG Board
2. Have some kind of formal stated purpose (charter, mission
statement, whatever) (brevity encouraged)
3. Have two coordinators (primary and alternate)
3a. Initially, recognized by decision of the GNHLUG Board
3b. Normal succession by approval of both existing coordinators
3c. Replacement by decision of the GNHLUG Board
4. Coordinators are *not* empowered to make decisions on behalf of the
GNHLUG Board

  Provision 3b would be our normal process of a coordinator saying "I
quit, Bob's the new guy".  Provision 3c would be for the cases where
an existing coordinator becomes unavailable and unreachable, or the
unlikely event that an individual acts detrimental to the good of the
group.

  Provision 4 is again just a CYA move.  The Board is recognizing the
subgroup and taking on some liability, but in return reserves the
right to make any rules needed.  Hopefully we won't ever need to.

  Keep in mind this is only for entities operating in the name of the
Legal Entity GNHLUG.  There's nothing keeping anyone from simply going
out and getting stuff done on their own.

-- Ben