On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 05:05:23PM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2008, at 14:38, Ben Scott wrote:
>
> > 12 VDC from a car works but is suboptimal.
>
> Who knows anything about hooking up a laptop directly to a car or
> marine battery, with perhaps a DC/DC transformer in the mix?

If you've got a 12Vdc adapter for the laptop, you don't need
a(nother) transformer in the mix, just wire a power socket to the
battery terminals and plug into that.  Ratshack has one that should
work well enough:

  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103589

I'm guessing this monster laptop has a pretty high-draw power
supply, so I wouldn't run it from a car battery for long if you care
about the battery at all.  Deep-cycle is the way to go here, if you
have to use batteries.

I have a small (32Ah) deep-cycle battery and a cigar lighter socket
for it that I'd be happy to loan out for the event.  Depending on
the power draw of the laptop and the efficiency of the laptop's
12Vdc adapter, that might not be a big enough battery, though.  If
you have to use an inverter, it definitely isn't big enough.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-