On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, at 4:07pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> As a second note I forgot about, it also has a built in FTP and web server,
>> as well as the ability to run Java servlets.  Definatly a nice little
>> box..
>
> Ahm, okay, so how is this different than a Cobalt then?

  One is made by Sun, the other's made by Quantum.  ;-)

> Cobalt is now owned by Sun.

  And, AFAIK, they have not yet shoehorned either Solaris or a SPARC into a
Cobalt box yet.  Amazing.  :-)

> Also, keep in mind, [Cobalt boxes are] meant as a web appliance, not
> necessarilly an NFS/CIFS server.

  Seeing how they are both made from the same commodity i386 parts (and same
basic software), I don't know that means much.  Cobalt's original product
line (the Qube) was a LAN server appliance (NFS/CIFS/etc).  As I understand
it, the biggest change from LAN appliance to web appliance was the marketing
literature.  ;-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>