We've used System Imager here with fairly good success.  It's a bit like
Solaris's jumpstart, so your machines need to have the ability to boot off
the network, but it's pretty straightforward other than that.

I've been toying around with partition image as well, which looks a little
better to me, but I haven't gotten deep into it yet, so I can't vouch for
its functionality.

http://systemimager.sourceforge.net/
http://www.partimage.org/

Ben

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Michael O'Donnell wrote:

> I'm looking for an automated software installation
> mechanism - I want to be able to deliver software
> to my customers in such a way that they can install
> it on multiple machines as painlessly as possible.
>
> For example, one scheme I've heard of (but have been
> unable to find at scyld.com or anywhere else) was
> reportedly developed by the Scyld Beowolf folks and it
> sounded very interesting - you could supposedly insert
> a Scyld CD into each one of a bunch of machines on
> your net, boot each machine from its CD, designate one
> machine as Master, and they'd all then cooperatively
> initialize themselves, install the software onto their
> local disks and start cranking as a Beowolf cluster.
>
> Although I'm not working with Beowolf I am involved
> with clustered systems so such a scheme sounds like
> it might be of interest - can anybody supply any
> details, or recommend any other approach to automated,
> net-based, multi-system installation?

Better to do a good deed near at home than go far away to burn incense.