On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, at 2:00pm, Rich C wrote:
> If I were to disable this setting, I could manually assign all my IRQs
> based on PCI slots (or ISA slots if I had any.)

  See me other post on PCI interrupt routing.  :-)

  ISA cards (be they "legacy" ISA cards or "Plug-and-Play" ISA cards) have
all interrupt lines available to their slot.  The card itself determines
which of those, if any, it will use.  Some cards are hard-wired to use only
one; some use jumpers or switches; some are controlled via onboard logic.
Before ISA PnP, it was common enough to have ISA cards which were configured
using software, but each card had its own interface and program for doing
so.  ISA PnP simply standardizes the interface to the onboard logic which
controls resource selection.

> If you have the "Reset Configuration Data" setting set to ENABLED, the
> BIOS will use the ESCD program to reallocate your resources on every boot.

  Not exactly.  The cards themselves do not determine their configuration,
and they need no non-volatile storage.  The host computer (either the BIOS,
or the OS, or some other program) gives them their configuration.

  Now, most BIOSes will "remember" PCI and PnP resource allocations between
boots.  The "Reset Configuration Data" option causes the BIOS to reconfigure
all devices and rebuild the ESCD.  It is a one-time option -- after the
reset is performed, the "Reset Configuration Data" setting will switch back
to "Disabled".

> Then most BIOSes have a section that allows you to set the assignment of
> each IRQ, and sometimes the DMA channels too.  The usual settings are
> AUTO(ESCD) and MANUAL. When resources are controlled manually, I think you
> need to tell the BIOS which bus (ISA OR PCI) the resource belongs to.

  Basically, if you have any non-PnP cards in your system, the BIOS (and
maybe even the OS) has no way of knowing what resources they are using.
The options you are talking about allow you to reserve resources for use by
non-PnP cards.  Using these options will cause the BIOS to *never* allocate
those resources for *anything*.

  In theory, the OS has an advantage here, because the device driver for a
non-PnP card might be able to tell the OS what resources the device is
using.  Or not.  ISA PnP is one of those things that, when it works, it
works great, and when it doesn't work, you're fscked good.  :-/

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>