----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Greater NH Linux Users' Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: Fighting with IRQs.

>   Not exactly.  The cards themselves do not determine their
configuration,

Read my post again. I did not say that the card did this. I said that
the ESCD program did (the part of the BIOS that builds the ESCD data.)

> and they need no non-volatile storage.  The host computer (either the
BIOS,
> or the OS, or some other program) gives them their configuration.

Some cards DO keep their own configurations, although it may be only ISA
cards which do this. Frequently, without a PnP BIOS to configure them,
you needed a special configuration program (certain Adaptec ISA SCSI
adapters do this) to set the IRQ and DMA (if applicable.)

>   Now, most BIOSes will "remember" PCI and PnP resource allocations
between
> boots.  The "Reset Configuration Data" option causes the BIOS to
reconfigure
> all devices and rebuild the ESCD.  It is a one-time option -- after
the
> reset is performed, the "Reset Configuration Data" setting will switch
back
> to "Disabled".

Not true in all cases. Some BIOSes will keep the setting on Enabled, and
you will see the "ESCD update success..." message on every boot.

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES
www.sysupport.com