  Ben> Anyone used to any other Unix will
  Ben> find Linux a bit "weird" in this respect.

Let's re-write this as:

        Anyone used to any one particular OS will find another
        particular OS a bit "wierd" in this respect.

I think it's safe to say, that though UNIX is UNIX, and Linux is
UNIX, that if you *really* know one variant, trying to switch to
another, though not hard, does turn up some idiosyncrosies which can
lead to confusion and/or frustration.

(The following are meant to be rhetorical questions, however, they
may prove interesting excercises for some :)

For example, anyone know what /etc/fstab is under:

        - AIX
        - Solaris

or what /etc/exports is under:

        - Solaris

How about trying to change the hostname of a system between:

        - Solaris
        - Linux (actually, RH, Debian, etc, are all different)
        - True64
        - HP-UX
        - AIX

For that matter, how do you change the networking interface information
between:

        - Red Hat
        - Debian

Tux forbid you're an NT admin trying to learn "The UNIX way" :)

--

Seeya,
Paul