>>I'm giving the FAI (Fully Automatic Installation)
>>package a test drive at Paul's suggestion and
>>wonder if anybody here has tried it.  I'm hitting
>>some speedbumps that (I think) have something to
>>do with my attempts to use FAI's DHCP boot method
>>with the DHCP server from the dhcpd3 package.
>
> Ayup, I've been playing with it for about 2 or 3
> months now, on and off.  The documentation, IMO,
> leaves a lot to be desired, but between that and the
> mailing list, you should be able to muddle through.
>
> Btw, in the case of FAI, the phrase "Use the source"
> comes into play more so than I realized at first.
> 99% of FAI's flexibility comes from shell and perl
> functions which are completely undocumented anywhere
> but in the source itself.  Definitely take a look
> at the example class/*, scripts/*, and files/etc/*
> files.
>
> The DHCP config should be pretty straightforward,
> however, I can shoot you the one I'm using if
> you'd like.

After struggling with FAI for a few days I noticed
that a new Debian package had appeared so I started
over with that and got a lot further.  With the new
package I've so far had problems related to TFTP, DHCP
and SSH.  I discovered (after some tortuous debugging)
that the first two were the result of incompatibilities
with the particular servers I was running, so in those
cases I changed servers.  The SSH problem turned out
to be related to the recent "privilege separation"
changes that have been pissing off a lot of people.

By the end of the weekend I had gotten to the point
where the client boxes could boot using a floppy and
establish communications with the server box well
enough that it looks like I'm now ready for the REALLY
hard part: setting up classes and writing scripts that
configure systems belonging to each of those classes.