On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 01:28:59PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   Jon> "One of the features prominently advertised by Intuit for
>   Jon> QuickBooks 2001 was the ability to send invoices via e-mail,"
>   Jon> says Ms. Billings. "With this latest update, I had to accept
>   Jon> a new TOS [Terms of Service] agreement in order to keep using
>   Jon> this feature.
>
> Hmmm, I know this is probably way beyond the grasp of the average
> user like "Ms. Billings", however, couldn't she choose to print the
> invoice, select "print to file" and mail the postscript file herself?

That avoids the convenience factor.

> That's what I'd do to get around this.  Why in the world would anyone
> want to have this type of e-mail go through an unknown mail server
> like Intuit's?  Of course, non-geeks are likely to be completely
> clueless as to how e-mail works, never mind what servers their e-mail
> travels through.

A majority of the computer-related issues that crop up (this, DECSS,
RIAA, etc.) take more than two sentances to explain.  If it can't
be summed up in a soundbite (Napster steals money from artists!)
the press can't make a good story out of it, and the general press
doesn't care.

> Hmmm, I don't suppose there's the option to encrypt said invoices
> *before* mailing it out, huh?  Of course, that would pre-suppose that
> each party created and supplied the invoicing user with a public
> encryption key.

GPG anyone?  But personal encryption is a hard sell.

> I don't like the USPS overly much, but at least (AFAIK), they don't
> currently read my mail as it passes through their facilities :)

I think that people assume that e-mail=USPS.  In some ways it is, but
not enough to make them equal.

-Mark