Please remember to reply to the mailing list, not the original sender:

+++++++++

I should also have emphasized something about the behavior of BIND when
the external address changes.

When BIND starts, it determines the IP address of all of the interfaces
it is supposed to listen to, and separately "listens" on each address.
So if the external address changes while your machine is up, I am pretty
sure that BIND will no longer receive packets on the external interface.

For this reason, you should stop and restart BIND when the external
address changes, even though there are no "A" records in the zone file.
The more complex example I provided in the help shows how this can be
done.

===

Maybe I should point out to those knowledgable about DNS that this set
up is not as inefficient as it first appears. The "www.patuxent.org"
CNAME record should be cached for a day by the nearest DNS server to an
HTTP client accessing this site. So the resolver will quickly learn that
it should really get the address of "patuxent.dyn.mpis,net". If the ISP
is nice enough to provide recursive DNS look ups, then the DNS server
will get the address and return it with the CNAME record. Pretty
efficient huh?

If the dynamic DNS site uses a TTL of 60 seconds (which is now the
default in the sample gnudip.conf file), rather than a TTL of 0 seconds
(which Thilo Bangert also informs me can be a problem for some
resolvers), then the efficiency is even better!

===

> From this example, it looks like I would need to transfer the domain
> name to one of the dynamic DNS services, and then use that service to
> point to my IP address when someone is looking for patuxent.org.
> But from my investigation at some  of the dynamic DNS sites,  it looks
> as though I would have to use the domain name they provide instead of
> the DNS I have registered.

Yes. You do. Perhaps the example is not clear. Here is a modified
version:

$TTL 1D
patuxent.org.     SOA   patuxent.org. root.patuxent.org. (
                    20020101      ;serial
                    3600          ;refresh
                    1800          ;retry
                    604800        ;expiration
                    0             ;TTL for NACK
                    )
patuxent.org.     NS    ns1.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.
patuxent.org.     NS    ns2.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.
patuxent.org.     MX 0  patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.
www.patuxent.org. CNAME patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.

For this to work, you get a dynamic domain name called
"patuxent.dyn.mpis.net." at

  http://www.2mbit.com/gnudip/cgi-bin/gnudip.cgi

You make sure you have "wild card" selected. Then register
"ns1.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net." and "ns2.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net." as the
name servers for the "patuxent.org." domain at your register. If your
registrar insists that you also provide IP addresses for these name
servers, enter anything you like, the addresses will never be used by
the ".org" root server.

You also have to get a client set up to maintain your address for
"patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.".