trodery wrote:

> I'm sure you could do triggered updates where you update the master and it
> automatically sends an update notification to the slave...

Yes, that will work, at least with BIND.  I don't know about other name
servers.

[Note:  In the comments below, I fudge the definition of top level
domain a bit... don't bother to correct me, please.]

Christian:

If I understand correctly, what you want is to have dynamic updates
of your top level dyn.cx domain while still being able to do delegations
of subdomains (plus presumably adding non-dynamic records at your
top dyn.cx domain).

I'll prefix this with the comment that you will find zone administration
a lot easier if you keep your dynamic updates in a separate subzone,
but caveat emptor.  If you are unable to enable the dyn.cx top domain
for dynamic updates, you will *have* to use a subdomain controlled
by a nameserver that is so enabled.  Whichever [sub]domain you
chose for your dynamic updates, you will no longer (in general)
be able to update just by editing a text file.  See your nameserver
docs for this.

Anyway, when you set up your dyn.cx domain, add to it all of your
static entries, including your delegations for vv and silva.  For
each of these, register at least two nameservers.  Then enable your
zone for dynamic updates, using the authentication info from your
GnuDIP installation.  Make sure GnuDIP is updating the master DNS,
and the slaves should get the updates propagated automatically
from the master (not from GnuDIP, as you seem to have alluded to
in your email).

Then, "It just works", modulo your correct nameserver configuration.

So initially, your dyn.cx zone file may look something like this:

$TTL 10m

@       IN      SOA ns.psi5.com. hostmaster.dyn.cx. (
        1, 1h, 10m, 7d, 1h )

        IN      NS      ns.psi5.com.
        IN      NS      ns.csg-germering.de.

        IN      MX      10 mail.dyn.cx.

vv      IN      NS      ns.psi5.com.
        IN      NS      ns.csg-germering.de.

silva   IN      NS      ns.psi5.com.
        IN      NS      ns.csg-germering.de.

www     IN      CNAME   whatever.dyn.cx.

(etc)

Don't forget to correctly configure your secondary nameservers
so that they are serving up not only the dyn.cx domain but all
the subdomains as well.

If this doesn't answer your question, please clarify the problem.

--
         Devin Reade         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>