From: <Friend>, Fred <f.fri...@ucl.ac.uk<mailto:f.fri...@ucl.ac.uk>>
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:06 AM
To: "Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)"
<goal@eprints.org<mailto:goal@eprints.org>>, LibLicense-L Discussion Forum
<liblicens...@listserv.crl.edu<mailto:liblicens...@listserv.crl.edu>>, SPARC
Open Access Forum <sparc-oafo...@arl.org<mailto:sparc-oafo...@arl.org>>
Subject: [sparc-oaforum] Re: Disruption vs. Protection

This is an excellent contribution from Danny Kingsley, and it would be
interesting to have some real information about subscription loss from
publishers, and not only from the two publishers she mentions. Very
occasionally we do hear stories about a few journals ceasing publication, but
the number appears very low by comparison with the total number of research
journals published, and the causal link with repository deposit is obscure. A
reduction in the quality of a journal (and I do not mean impact factor) or a
reduction in library funding could be more influential factors than green open
access. Presumably for commercial reasons publishers have not been willing to
release information about subscription levels, but if they are to continue to
use green open access as a threat they have to provide more evidence.

Likewise if they expect to be believed, publishers have to provide more
information about sustainability. They speak about repositories not being a
sustainable model for research dissemination, by which they appear to mean that
their journals will not be sustainable in a large-scale repository environment.
Most institutional repositories are fully-sustainable, their sustainability
derived from the sustainability of the university in which they are based. If
any research journals are not sustainable, the reasons may have nothing to do
with repositories. Those reasons are currently hidden within the "big deal"
model, the weak journals surviving through the strength of other journals.
Rather than blame any lack of sustainability upon green open access, perhaps
publishers should take a harder look at the sustainability of some of their
weaker journals. Repositories are sustainable; some journals may not be.

Fred Friend

Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL