Would you really consider dropping a journal with say 70% percent of the
content available after a year?  I'm not a librarian but I just wonder how much
of a difference allowing immediate archiving of the accepted version really
makes in subscription decisions.

It depends. Obviously, a subscription provides enhanced access over green
repository access. But as I mentioned before, the less central a journal is to
my institution's curricular and research focus, the more willing I'll be to
settle for less-than-ideal access. If I had a generous materials budget, the
calculus would be different—but the combination of a relatively stagnant budget
and constantly/steeply-rising journal prices means that I have to settle for
solutions that are less than ideal. One less-than-ideal solution is to maintain
a subscription despite the fact that 70% of the journal's content is available
immediately (or after a year). That solution is attractive because it provides
more complete and convenient access, but it's less than ideal because it ties
up money that can't be used to secure access to a journal that is not green at
all. Another less-than-ideal solution is to cancel the subscription and rely on
green access. The downside of that approach is that repository access is a pain
and may be incomplete; the upside is that it frees up money that I can use to
provide access to another needed journal that offers no green access.

These issues are complex. The subscription decisions we make in libraries are
binary (either your subscribe or you don't), but the criteria we have to use in
making those decisions are not binary—we're typically considering multiple
criteria (relevance, price, cost per download, demonstrated demand, etc.) that
exist on a continuum. One thing is for certain, though: the more a journal's
content is available for free, and the quicker it becomes available for free,
the less likely it is that we'll maintain a subscription. I think that's the
only rational position to take when there are so many journals out there that
our faculty want, and that we're not subscribing to because we're out of money.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah
Desk: (801) 587-9989
Cell: (801) 721-1687
rick.ander...@utah.edu