At a severe risk of offending Stevan, I write to say that my University has
practised an almost-OA policy for at least 15 years that falls into neither
the Green nor Gold category. (BTW did you know that these are the two
Australian sporting colours?)

We subscribe to the online journals our researchers make a great deal of use
of (that's free to them, but not to the University), but the difference is
that we offer a free (to the researcher) automated document delivery service
to any researcher (includes PhD candidates) for an article we do not
subscribe to. There is a delay sure, but it is the same delay as the
Request-A-Copy button, and more certain. The University meets the cost, so
the researcher sees it as free.  This is not a solution for developing
countries, but for an intelligent first-world university it sure is. I have
used the service at least 100 times. It enables us to unsubscribe little
used journals and win, and it makes it easier to be right up to date at the
far end of the world's communication lines.

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania. Australia