Alexander I, King of the Hellenes, ruled Greece from 1917-1920. He was born on
21 July (O.S.) = 1 August 1893 at Tatoi near Athens, the second son of
Constantine I and his wife, Princess Sophie of Prussia.

In 1917, Constantine I, known for his pro-German tendencies, insisted that
Greece remain neutral in World War I, while Prime minister Eleftherios
Venizelos was determined to go to war in support of the Triple Entente. At
Venizelos' invitation, French and British troops entered Greece and forced
Constantine I and his first born son Prince George into exile. Young Alexander
was enthroned as king; in reality he had absolutely no power, and his only real
task was to frequently visit the front and rally the troops.
On one major issue, however, he did defy Venizelos: On 4 November 1919 he
eloped with a commoner, Aspasia Manos (1896-1972), daughter of Colonel Petros
Manos, causing a scandal and infuriating Venizelos who had wanted the young
king to marry princess Mary, daughter of king George V of England. The royal
couple was forced to temporarily flee to Paris, until the crisis was resolved
and his wedding was legalized.

On 25 October 1920 he died at Athens, of sepsis, after been bitten by a pet
monkey. After his death, his father was permitted to return to Greece as a king.

His only child, born after his death, was Alexandra of Greece (1921-1993), who
later married Peter II, King of Yugoslavia.

References
*       Hindley, Geoffrey (2000). The Royal Families of Europe. New York:
Caroll & Graf. ISBN 0-7867-0828-X.
*       Encyclopedia Britannica, edition 15 (1990). Article: Alexander (Greece)
*       Miroslav Marek. "Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg."
Genealogy.Eu. Accessed on Jun 30, 2005.

More at,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_of_Greece_(king)

Avelino
Bastora/Kuwait

_________

From: "D'Souza, Avelino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>One day while he was trying to stop his gardener's pet monkey from
attacking his pet Alsatian (Fritz), Alexander I of Greece was bitten on
the leg.

By whom? the Monkey or the Dog??

Just joking....

>>After enduring eleven operations, the king died of blood poisoning.
Though an early amputation would surely have saved him, Alexander's
doctors refused to perform the operation - on the grounds that the leg
was Royal.

How about Cold blooded and Pure blooded ? as someone pointed out on goanet
recently about Ms. Mascarenhas.

>>Alexander I, (?-1920) Greek king

Why the ? mark, When was he born.

Do I need to quote Karl M.:-)