GOAN NITE AT COCO'S

                       -brian mendonça

I went for a couple of hours (2)
And met a couple of people (5)
I sang a couple of Goan songs (2)
And had a couple of beers (2)
Andrew did a couple of covers (lost count)
The lights went off a couple of times (5)
I tasted a couple of Goan dishes (1)
And was photographed eating them a couple of times (5)
I went over to a couple of tables (3)
And read out a couple of my poems (3)
I strummed my guitar a couple of times (2)
and sold a couple of my books (2)
Saw a couple of firm breasts on FTV (lost count)
And spoke about a couple of babies due June (2)
I think it’ll take a couple of Thursdays (>2)
And I’ll need to make a couple of calls (who knows?)
To make a Goan nite what it could be
For he and she, and yours, mine and ours.

                                          (Cocoa Cafe and Bar
                                           Citywalk mall, New Delhi
                                           3 April 2008)

Glossary
Andrew Ferrao is a Goan musician who sings and plays on his Korg casio at Coco’s
covers: 70’s Eagles’‘Hotel California’, 80’s MLTR’s ‘Paint My Love’
Goan dishes: Chicken xacuti
My books: Last Bus to Vasco: Poems from Goa (2006)
FTV’s ‘Midnight Hot’
Babies: a lady at one of the tables was in an advanced stage of pregnancy
Thursday nites are Goan nites at Coco
He and she: in that gigantic mall there are so many types of selves - each
searching for a kind of meaning