> * David Koski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20070625 17:15]:
>> On Monday 25 June 2007 01:58, Michael Prokop wrote:
>> > * David Koski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20070625 06:15]:
>
> [adp94xx kernel module]
>
>> > IIRC adp94xx has been integrated as aic94xx in mainline 2.6.19.
>
>> > % uname -a
>> > Linux funkenzutzler 2.6.20-grml #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Apr 22 13:28:02
>> CEST
>> > 2007 i686 GNU/Linux % modinfo aic94xx | grep description
>
>> > Please correct me if I'm wrong (I don't own an Adaptec SAS/SATA
>> > controller).
>
>> I don't believe the aic94xx driver is the same as adp94xx, which has
>> proprietary code.  Given Debian's strict policies, I would be
>> surprised if they adopted adp94xx code.  I tried to install a
>> modified Debian stable (2.6.18 kernel + aic94xx) install without
>> success.  That when it was indicated to me that the adp94xx is
>> needed.  RedHat reportedly comes with adp94xx drivers, which are
>> required for my specific Adaptec chip.  I was hoping grml had them
>> too, as indicated in the README.
>
> Well, did you try grml 1.0 with aic94xx? A short look at the code of
> adp94xx indicates that it seems to be quite the same as current
> aic94xx. JFTR: Debian's policies has nothing to do with
> adp94xx/aic94xx itself - especially as grml's kernel has (basically)
> nothing to do with Debian's one. ;) The aic94xx code went in
> mainline (as in kernel.org) and not just in Debian's kernel.
>
> Regarding adp94xx there have been several problems with different
> kernel versions. Check out Jimmy's weblog on that issue:
>
>   http://www.jimmy.co.at/weblog/?p=71
>
> I'll try to check out with Jimmy what's current state of adp94xx/
> aic94xx. My current state of information is that aic94xx is what you
> use with >=2.6.19 if you used adp94xx before.

Thank you Mika.  Yes, I did try 1.0 with aic94xx.  I spoke with
SuperMicro, the hardware vendor, and they said the adp94xx is required due
to the 9410 chip.  I was with the understanding that the adp94xx was from
Adaptec and had non-free binary code in it.

I have checked the above weblog.  It is high in the Google search list.  I
tried to load the binary module but it is sarge Debian.  I burned a sarge
CD and could not load the network drivers for the same machine.  I then
downloaded the souce and followed the directions but there were a bunch of
make errors.

Thank you.  If you have more information please pass it on.

Best Regards,
David Koski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]