Oh sure, I just don't understand why some people think it's so much fun to get together and tear someone down. Which is really what's happening in a lot of those discussions. Some feel snarking is off limits with people they know, but the movie/TV industry is fair game.

Fran

On 1/5/2016 1:14 PM, annbw...@aol.com wrote:
If we all liked the same thing, there would only be vanilla ice cream, as they
say.

Ann Wass

-----Original Message-----
From: Lavolta Press <f...@lavoltapress.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Tue, Jan 5, 2016 2:17 pm
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Costumes in "War and Peace"

I gave up on snarking at movie costumes many years ago.  Movies are
fiction. They are not documentaries, they are not meant to be
educational, and they are not made primarily for viewing by historic
reenactors. In many, much of the history itself is, at best, speculation.

I don't watch movies for the costumes. I watch them to see whether it's
good drama and looking for things to criticize just spoils the drama.
When I want solid information I look elsewhere. And really, some of the
Facebook discussions sound just like catty little junior-high girls
gleefully tearing down each other's clothes.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com