On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Orna Agmon wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >
> > I don't think that lectures that do not require any prior knowledge must
> > automagically be placed in SiL. Lectures that are of interest to the
> > club's at large should be proper lectures regardless of the knowledge they
> > require. Otherwise, the newcomers will be confused and will think they
> > need to attend these lectures.
>
> As you may have noticed, the SiL lectures, which were numbered as SiL-1,
> SiL-2 etc. before, are now numbered as club lectures. The SiL indication
> next to the number simply says that people who took the W2L will not feel
> akward in them, and that they are of a slower rate.

Then you might as well label or comment them as beginner-friendly, or
whatever. There's no reason to call them by the illegible SiL next to
them, especially that "Staying in Linux" was meant to be an ad-hoc series
to complement W2L.

> > I don't think we should teach newcomers about CVS, so there's no reason to
> > put it there. Likewise, "Trust and Open Source" is of interest to the club
> > at large so it should be on the proper lectures.
> >

> As I said, the SiL lectures are available to everybody. Regarding CVS, I
> think everybody who does not have a good version control tool, should have
> one, no matter their experiance.

CVS _is not_ a good version control tool. ;-)

> It is not a question of "need to know",
> this is not the intelligence force. It is a question of "has the proper
> background to follow the lecture".

OK.

> > You're overduing it with the SiL series.

> > > The first is intro - no prior knowledge. The next one requires prior
> > > knowledge or hearing the first one. people with less background can listen
> > > to both of them, while people with more background may skip the first one.
> > >

> > Then please designate them as part I, and part II. I personally think that
> > we can simply assume that some proper Haifux lectures will require little
> > or no prior knowledge, so we don't need to stretch the SiL series beyond
> > the Shell lecture. Instead, we can have more lectures on our queue.
> >

> Have you checked the queue lately? We are almost full till the next W2L.

Doesn't the next W2L start at October or November. We only have a queue
until June. But never mind.

> > Regards,
> >
> >     Shlomi Fish

> > Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
> >
> > You are banished! You are banished! You are banished!
> >
> > Hey? I'm just kidding!
> >

> And please have a proper signature at last. Every time I answer you (this
> is the fifth today, I think) I have
> to trim your signature. I did not do it this time to show you how it
> looks, in case you have not noticed.

I don't mind people quoting the signature. (I do many time). And I dislike
dash-dash-space signatures for these reasons:

1. You cannot quote them in many mailers.
2. If you forward a mail with the signature at the beginning and forget to
remove the signature, then the answerer cannot quote the forwarded
message. (which is highly annoying)

If it bothers you so much, you can have a procmail rule to remove it
manually. Shouldn't be too hard to write using sed or whatever.

> You know the standard:dash dash space and then no more than four lines.
> Then the mail qlient trims it itself. See also (In your favorate CatB
> site):
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/McQuary-limit.html

It reads:

<<<
Accordingly, the McQuary limit should be considered a rule of thumb rather
than a hard limit;