Hi,

<SNIPPED>
> 6. regarding re-creating a live process from a core file - some people
> already thought about this (as usual). here is an example (i didn't try
> this yet):
>
>       http://www.geocities.com/asimshankar/checkpointing/

A long time ago, there was a [n almost] standard UNIX command called undump
which would re-create an executable out of a core file. I think PERL users
might be familiar with that. If I recall correctly this was one of the first
ways to "compile" a perl script to an executable. You start PERL, and make it
dump core straight at the beginning. Then you would recreate the  perl process
via undump.

I'm really sorry I missed your lecture. I'm sure it was a excellent one, like
always.

                                                         Emil