On Monday, February 17th at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by Shachar
Raindel:

    PacketShader: a GPU-Accelerated Software Router

Abstract

PacketShader is a high-performance software router framework for general packet
processing with Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) acceleration. PacketShader
exploits the massively-parallel processing power of GPU to address the CPU
bottleneck in current software routers. Combined with our high-performance
packet I/O engine, PacketShader outperforms existing software routers by more
than a factor of four, forwarding 64B IPv4 packets at 39 Gbps on a single
commodity PC. PacketShader evaluation included implementation of IPv4 and IPv6
forwarding, OpenFlow switching, and IPsec tunneling to demonstrate the
flexibility and performance advantage of it. The evaluation results show that
GPU brings significantly higher throughput over the CPU-only implementation,
confirming the effectiveness of GPU for computation and memory-intensive
operations in packet processing.

The lecture will also provide background regarding GPU – brief history,
architecture, cons and pros for accelerating applications using GPU.

If time will permit, we will also discuss SSLShaders, which accelerates SSL
encryption/decryption on the GPU.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

03/03/14 Open Ethernet Initiative - using Linux as the foundation of
          a networking OS: Matty Kados
17/03/14 Linux Containers and the future cloud: Rami Rosen

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to give a
talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be interested in,
please contact us at webmas...@haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il