Greg Woodhouse wrote, on 07/20/2006 06:40 PM:

[KSB] <...snip...>

> Does anyone have instructions for compiling GT.M on FreeBSD. I remember
> Dave Whitten and I tried this once before, but it wasn't even clear how
> to compile on Linux is a previous version wasn't in place.

[KSB] A member of the GT.M community in Australia reports successfully
building GT.M on FreeBSD.  He did have to make some changes.  I am
working with him to get him the automated regression test suite so that
it can be a fully tested version of GT.M.  He says he will release his
port as a FreeBSD package when he is done.

If anyone would like to collaborate with him, please let me know off
line and I will put you in touch with him.  I believe he is interested
in a subsequent OS X port as well.

Apropos the bootstrapping issue, some of the C source files in GT.M
pertaining to the error messages are actually generated by a GT.M
program from ASCII text files.  You can simply take the C files from the
Linux port (from Source Forge) to accomplish the initial bootstrap.
Alternatively, run GT.M built for Linux on FreeBSD using the
compatibility library for the bootstrap.

> Darwin implements FreeBSD on top of the Mach-O microkernel (and yes, I
> recall a thread -- no pun intended -- in which someone said it's not a
> true microkernel in the sense of the original Mach). There are also
> core services which, I believe do not rely on the FreeBSD subsystem,
> but in principle, at least, FreeBSD applications ought to compile under
> OS X.

[KSB] This is my understanding as well.  Does anyone know whether the
FreeBSB compatibility library that allows Linux binaries to run on
FreeBSD also works for OS X?

-- Bhaskar