Stepan Mishura wrote:
On 7/25/06, Richard Liang wrote:

Hello All,

As we have further discussion about our Compatibility issues, I'd like
to summarize this particular problems and ask for comments. Thanks a lot.

If we pass a null to j.u.Formatter.Formatter(Appendable a), when we try
to get the destination of the formatter's output by calling
formatter.out(), RI will thrown a java.util.FormatterClosedException.
But according to the specification,  the destination should be a
StringBuilder.

Shall we follow RI or specification?

(My opinion is: Following spec, and record a "Non-bug differences from
RI" in JIRA)

+1 for following the spec. and filling corresponding JIRA

HARMONY-985[1] has been raised for this issue. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard.

Thanks,
Stepan

The following test passes on Harmony, but fails on RI.
   public void test_ConstructorLjava_lang_Appendable() {
       Formatter formatter = new Formatter((Appendable) null);
       Appendable out = formatter.out();
       assertTrue(out instanceof StringBuilder);
   }

<SNIP>

Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM