Dear safranim,

I'm trying to find out when/how/by whom the song "Dona, Dona," became
linked with the Holocaust, often in the context of Yom Ha-Shoah
commemorations.  I have found in Pearls of Yiddish Song, by Eleanor Gordon
Mlotek and Joseph Mlotek, the following introduction:

DONA, DONA.  Words by Aarons Zeitlin, music by Sholom Secunda, published in
sheet music by Metro Musci, 1943; Originally entitled "Dana, dana, dana,"
the song was written for Zeitlin's play, Esterke, produced by Maurice
Schwartz in 1940-1, and printed in the program.  It became one of the most
widely sung Yiddish songs and was performed in Yiddish and English
translation by Theodore Bikel, Joan Baez and others....In some collections,
beginning with Ben Yomen's (1946), the words are erroneously attributed to
Yitskhok Katzenelson, Hebrew-Yiddish poet active in the Warsaw Ghetto
ungerground.  In a recent record produced in Germany, not only is the song
attributed to Katzenelson, it is also interpreted as having been written in
the Ghetto to express Jews' longing for freedom.

And, I found the emails, (which I've excerpted) below, by doing a Google
search.  Although these both provide lots of info, they don't directly
address my patron's question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ann Abrams, Librarian
Temple Israel
477 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
617-566-3960 x116
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.tisrael.org

<http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/vol05/vol05.229>http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/vol05/vol05.229

David Jacobs is looking for the original Yiddish words to "Dona". You're right
David, the song comes from the Yiddish theatre and here are the original
Yiddish words, the title of the play and the name of the author.

Aaron Zeltlin (1889-1973) wrote the words, Sholom Secunda (1894-1974) the
music and the sheet music was published by Metro Music Co., New York, 1943.

The song, originally "Dana, dana, dana," was written for Zeltlin's play
"Esterke," produced by Maurice Schwartz, 1940-41.  It was printed in the
program, enabling it to become one of the most widely sung Yiddish songs.
Yiddish and English translations were performed by Theodore Bikel, Joan Baez
and others.  German and Korean translations have also appeared.

In some collections the words are erroneously attributed to Yitshok
Katzeneison, Hebrew-Yiddish poet active in the Warsaw Ghetto underground.

Marcia Gruss Levinsohn