I had in mind SSC for my session on understanding what books and materials can
be buried.
Haim

      From: Michelle Chesner <michm...@gmail.com>
 To: "hasafran@lists.osu.edu" <hasafran@lists.osu.edu>
 Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:23 PM
 Subject: [ha-Safran] SSC Sessions at the conference

Dear Safranim,
It has come to my attention that there are SSC members who were disappointed by
the perceived lack of SSC sessions at the upcoming AJL conference in New York.
I would like to correct this misconception, especially since members of the SSC
worked particularly hard to provide exceptional programming for this group
(including Kathy Bloomfield, Susan Kusel, and Heidi Rabinowitz and others).
Exactly half of the sessions (all listed in slots C and D in the program) are
geared toward SSC.
I know that the detailed conference information has not been made public yet,
and so I will cite some specific examples below:
   - More Than Just One Person’s Opinion: What Makes Good Book Criticism? (This
session, organized by Elissa Gershowitz, includes interviews with Marjorie
Ingall and Arthur Levine of Arthur A. Levine books)

   - Inspire new books: how librarians can make a difference - this includes
discussions with Jewish book authors about recent publications (Tammar Stein,
Anne Dublin, Jacqueline Jules, Barbara Bietz and Allison & Wayne Marks)

   - Accreditation and Advocacy (60 minutes with Rachail Kurtz on how to
achieve AJL accreditation, followed by Kathy Bloomfield on "Advocating for your
Library: What your Board Wants to Know"

   - Beth Braunstein will be giving a 60 minute session on "Jewish Values in
Secular Literature."
   - The Holocaust Education session is SSC minded: it includes discussion of
certification of Holocaust educators with Susan Dubin, building communities
around Holocaust study; and a focus on Holocaust children's literature
   - Collaboration in building public (i.e. synagogue, center) Jewish libraries
collections (including the Vilnius Jewish Public Library, which is equivalent
to a Center library)
   - Lisa Silverman and Debbie Feder will speak about their new respective
community and school libraries, and what went into building them
   - An incredible digital session focuses on digital tools in school
libraries; education technology, and digital communites - all very much SSC
related.
And we will have a VERY special guest speaker at the first meal, presenting her
upcoming graphic novel of her life story (geared toward teens, but of definite
interest to synagogue and center librarians as well as schools).  Details are
still being finalized on that one, so I can't say more yet!
I'm sure I left some items out, so I'll ask the programming committee
(especially SSC members) to please chime in - but this is definitely a
conference NOT TO BE MISSED.
My best,Michelle
Michelle ChesnerChair, ProgrammingAJL NYC '17