This book is probably off the radar for most of you as it's not avaialble
through YBP/COUTTS/EBSCO  but check it out.

If you would like to communciate with the author his email is jroth...@ucla.edu

Best,

David Hirsch

Searching for Butsnevits by Jack Rothman

"This is a story of discovery. Like many kids in immigrant families, I avoided
dealing with "old country" family history--and like many of us, I was later
moved to go on a quest to discover my roots. This book, Searching for
Butsnevits: A Shtetl Tale, is part autobiography, part social history, and part
detective story--where the search is for a missing community rather than a
missing person.

The book is an encounter with the past, with the history of my family in
Ukraine in the early 1900s, and includes information about Jewish life in the
area and what's happened since to the place and the people, as well as a rare
firsthand account of the flight of my family from Ukraine in 1920 in the wake
of the pogroms that swept the country following the Russian Revolution"

David G. Hirsch
Librarian for Middle Eastern Studies
Charles Young Research Library
UCLA