I find it interesting that Judith Baskin’s recently published essay about the
present and future state of Jewish Studies in North America (see citation
below) ignores investments made by universities and Jewish American communities
in libraries, either by funding librarian lines and/ or supporting material
budgets.

The only reference to libraries in the article is in the context of ties with
Israel: “On the professional level, many programs have also welcomed academic
colleagues from Israel into their midst as speakers and visiting scholars,
while North American professors frequently spend summers and sabbaticals at
conferences and libraries in Israel” (p. 10, my emphasis). Jewish Studies
collections in North American libraries are not mentioned at all. Librarians
are mentioned as members of AJS (p. 5): “By 2013 the AJS had more than 1,800
members, most of whom were university faculty, graduate students, independent
scholars, and library and museum professionals who represented the breadth of
Jewish Studies scholarship.”

A survey of RAS libraries that support Jewish Studies may be a worthwhile
project for RAS leadership or for an individual RAS librarian. I welcome an
evidence-based article about the current state of Jewish Studies libraries in
North American colleges and universities in the next volume of Judaica
Librarianship.

Baskin, Judith R. 2014. "Jewish Studies in North American Colleges and
Universities: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow." Shofar: An Interdisciplinary
Journal of Jewish Studies 32 (4) : 9–26.

Thank you,
Rachel

Rachel Leket-Mor
Associate Librarian
Religious Studies, Philosophy, Jewish Studies, Medieval and Renaissance Studies
Arizona State University Libraries
PO Box 871006
Tempe, AZ 85287-1006
Phone: 480 965 2618