Haskell mode for Emacs, version 1.0
                 -----------------------------------

The ubiquitous editor Emacs allows modes specific to a particular
language or task.  We present a mode for editing Haskell scripts that
provides "font locking" and "declaration scanning".

Font locking allows the appearance of text to change according to its
role or function.  For example, keywords such as "where" and "let" can
be highlighted in a colour different to the ordinary code surrounding
it.  Comments, or code that is commented out, can also be coloured to
reveal that the text should not be treated as code.  This allows more
information to be passed to the user about the visible text and I feel
aids the programmer significantly.

Declaration scanning places all top-level declarations in a menu.
Selecting a declaration from a menu takes you to the start of that
declaration.  Declarations supported include: classes, instances,
functions (variables), imports and types.

Apart from these two features, the mode provides some simple functions
such as declaration navigation and simple indentation.  We hope to
extend this functionality in future versions.  Contributions are
welcome!

See the following home page:

http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~gem/haskell-mode/

for a demonstration of the mode in action and instructions for
downloading and installation.

Any problems, please email Tommy Thorn (address given in the
downloaded file) and myself.

Cheers,

Graeme.