Is sns12-virt the actual machine name?
What do you get if you type in uname -a?

The problem with Hadoop and of course HBase is that they determine their own IP
network based on the machine's actual name, so that even if you have multiple
interfaces, the nodes will choose the interface that matches the machine name.
(IMHO this is a defect that should be fixed.)

The use case is that you may want to expose a 1GBe nic to the outside world for
access to the cloud and then use a 10GBe interface for inter-cloud
communication.

Just IMHO.

-Mike