Sorry, but now I'm confused: I thought you confirmed that the HCP task
fMRI pipelines perform motion correction and spatial normalization (MNI
atlas registration) on the task fMRI images in volume space, before
mapping the data to the surface. Doesn't that mean that the surface
version of the task fMRI data relies upon the volumetric atlas
registration, and is so a different procedure than the spherical
registration to atlas space described in Anticevic et al., 2008?

thanks,
Jo