I don't have a code snippet for you, but there is a separate "brain model"
for each subcortical structure, which contains voxel indices.  The "index
map" that contains that brain model has the volume space information to
turn them into coordinates in mm.

Note that for the cortex, the CIFTI files don't encode every vertex that
exists in the gifti surface file.  This is what the code Demian provided is
doing, figuring out which vertices are represented in the cifti file.  This
is also different than how the fieldtrip matlab code does things.

Tim