Hello,

Apologies if this is a question with an obvious answer, I've searched the web
and archives long and hard and couldn't find an answer.

I'm looking to replace some of the data files of our software with hdf5 to make
it easier to edit them with external tools. Specifically, I need a way to edit
multi-dimensional arrays of numeric data, for which I figures hdf5 would be a
natural fit. However what I need are arrays with variable sizes. It seems to be
complicated to do that through the API, none of the popular tools (HDFView, HDF
Explorer) seem to support resizing data, and ViTables I haven't been able to
get to run on Windows.

So my question is - is hdf5 suitable as a data format for data with varying
dimensions? What tools will let me work with that? Thanks.

regards,

Roel