Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:46:56 +0200
From: Amir E. Aharoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [OOo-Hebrew] detection of Amharic fonts

Hello,

On my work computer i often write texts in English, Hebrew and
Amharic. It is Windows XP (i have no choice about that) and i try to
use OpenOffice when i can; i use MS Word when i have no choice.

Windows doesn't support Amharic out-of-the-box, so i use a program
called Tavultesoft Keyman. The font i use for Amharic is GF Zemen
Unicode (see http://am.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Can%27t_see_the_font%3F
for a download source). There's also Code 2000, but its glyphs don't
look so nice ( http://www.code2000.net/ ).

The problem is this:
To type Amharic i press Ctrl-Alt-G, which enables Keyman. MS Word
somehow detects it and changes the current font to GF Zemen Unicode.
OO doesn't detect it and stays with Arial, Times New Roman or whatever
it is at that time and every time i press Ctrl-Alt-G i need to change
the font manually. When i want to go back to Latin characters, i press
Ctrl-Alt-O, and the same thing happens: MS Word goes back to the Latin
font that was used before Amharic, but OO stays with GF Zemen Unicode
which has terrible Latin glyphs.

I use Ubuntu on my home computer, but i've never succeeded at
configuring it for typing in Amharic, but it's a totally different
problem.

Any ideas? Or should i report it as a requested feature?

Thanks for any help.

--
 EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
     - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -