Additionally, it's worth mentioning that if you're using a service that lives
behind a firewall that requires incoming requests to authenticate by IP, you
can try the new Proximo add-on (https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/proximo)
that's available in beta.

This elegantly solves the problem of needing to have a static IP for outbound
requests from your application, and allows your corporate security folks to
authenticate inbound traffic from your specific source IP.

It does not give the you a static IP for inbound HTTP requests going TO your
Heroku app, but I would honestly be in total disbelief if that turned out to be
an issue.

--
Morten Bagai
Heroku