I had the exact same problem this morning.  I had rubygems 1.0.1, and
was just following the hobo installation instructions.  So I ended up
with 1.3.0 and getting the same error.  I'm on Win XP here at work,
unfortunately.

I ended up uninstalling gems 1.3: gem uninstall rubygems-update --
version "1.3.0"

I still received the error when I tried to install hobo.

I uninstalled gems 1.2 the same way, with the same result.  I learned
that "gem env" showed the environmental variables, and the RUBYGEMS
VERSION said 1.3.0, so obviously stuff was sticking around in memory
when maybe it shouldn't.

I then found this link:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/4610c99f893d5b9d/7e48230b11797c08

So you don't have to look around, here is a paste:

1) Download rubygems-1.2.0.zip file from RubyForge:

2) Extract the package and from the command prompt, inside the folder
run:

ruby setup.rb install

That should overwrite the installed rubygems with this one.

3) Go to into your Ruby/bin folder (usually C:\Ruby\bin or C:\Program
Files\Ruby\bin) and look for all the scripts named "gem", if you had
1.8.5, you should have:

gem
gem.bat
gem.cmd

Please remove the gem.cmd file to avoid conflicts.

4) RubyGems should be working now.