Bernard Johnson wrote:
dwelch wrote:

Yes, but the _underlying_ problem is a communication problem, not an error in the code. We exaimined your patch, and it doesn't address the actual problem you are seeing (actually, the existing code in device.cpp is correct - no channel-id is supposed to be returned if an I/O error occurs. The fact that device.py may not handle this as gracefully as it could is another issue.)

So, we need to determine what the real cause is. As Aaron has said, we have tested extensively with this device (using the most up to date firmware), and it works OK. So, the question is what else could be causing this? Could you try using a USB connection?

I was assuming that I would see everything I needed to know in my console debug logs (-ldebug), but apparently not. I just dug this out of syslog:

Apr 18 13:06:18 localhost hpijs: dwInputAvail = 3748800 dwInputUsed = 3748800 dwOutputUsed = 12588 Apr 18 13:06:25 localhost hpiod: unable to connect to port 9220 JetDirectChannel::Open: Connection refused hpfax:/net/HP_Color_LaserJet_2840?ip=192.168.1.104 io/hpiod/jetdirect.cpp 124 Apr 18 13:06:26 localhost python: sendfax [ERROR] Unable to open channel (Unknown internal error).
Apr 18 13:06:26 localhost python: sendfax [ERROR] Fax send error.
Apr 18 13:06:28 localhost python: sendfax [ERROR] Error, aborting.

nmap of 192.168.1.104 shows that nothing is listening on 9220:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ nmap 192.168.1.104

Starting Nmap 4.00 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-04-18 13:22 MDT
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.104:
(The 1668 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT     STATE SERVICE
80/tcp   open  http
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
515/tcp  open  printer
9100/tcp open  jetdirect

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.710 seconds
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$

We have located the problem in the code and are working on fixing it. As you suspected, we are not accessing the proper ports on this device. We are currently researching the proper port numbers.

Thanks for your patience,

Don