Mr. Ruddy,
        I'm a member of the HtDig (www.htdig.org) open source search
engine group.

        We are currently using your implementation of strptime in the
3.2.x (LGPL'd) version of HtDig.

     41 /*
     42 static char copyright[] =
     43 "@(#) Copyright (c) 1994 Powerdog Industries.  All rights reserved.";
     44 static char sccsid[] = "@(#)strptime.c  1.0 (Powerdog) 94/03/27";
     45 */

        The Debian people have raised the issue of license incompatibility
with the GPL/LGPL.  Your license is a classic 4-clause BSD-type with an
advertising clause.  HtDig has distributed both GPL and LGPL versions of
our software.

        Would it be possible for you to give us a BSD license for strptime
without the 'advertising clause'?

        Also some statement from you forgiving any past violation of the
advertising clause for the HtDig group and our users would be helpful too
;-).

        This may seem a bit silly, but it matters to the Debian people and
we want to do things properly.

        Thanks!

Neal Richter
Knowledgebase Developer