Hello Ortwin,

> I haven't tried myself. What happens when you send the form blow with
> a browser? Does it set the Content-Encoding header of the HTTP message
> to UTF-8? Because the server must have a way to know in which encoding
> to interprete the MIME header if it's not the default ASCII.

Browsers I've checked (IE6, Firefox 1.5, Opera 7.54) are not sending a Content-Encoding header. IE6 and Firefox encode the filename properly and Opera corrupts it by removing all non-ASCII characters.

The request looks like this (from IE6):

POST / HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cache-Control: no-cache

bla
bla
bla

The weird looking filename is my test bunch of special characters Windows allowed me to use in a filename - and it's in UTF-8 (what might not be obvious from the listing above).

I guess a Content-Encoding header would appear if I added an appropriate META tag in my HTML (I'm only using accept-charset attribute in the FORM tag currently), but it seems to work without it - FileUpload interprets this filename properly without any hints on the encoding (perhaps it's just using UTF-8 as default?).

Hope this helps,
--Przemek