N53SV huh? Same here : ) I too just joined. Glad I'm not alone.

I followed the instructions on a post here
(http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?29110-Intel-s-Linux-Sandy-Bridge-Graphics-Still-Troubling/page2
<http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?29110-Intel-s-Linux-Sandy-Bridge-Graphics-Still-Troubling/page2%20>-
look at the post by buzz towards the bottom). I think that it worked,
because I'm not getting some of the glitches that I was getting before, but
there are other weird things. Specifically, the Matrix OpenGL (or is it CL?)
screensaver started crashing my system (- took me a while to figure out what
was doing it; and I can't access the screensaver settings because it brings
up a preview which also crashes the computer and so I wrote a little script
that shuts it off from the command line). Should this work on the integrated
graphics? Are there any tests I can do to make sure that the graphics are in
fact working? (I hope I'm not asking silly questions)

I too am super motivated to help out. I also don't have a lot of experience
developing on Linux, but I just migrated from OS X, which I used for doing
Ruby and Rails development. From that, I'm comfortable working in a terminal
and doing somewhat technical stuff, but I have plenty to learn still (OS X
has been shielding in ways). So, with that in mind, aside from being
motivated by having committed myself to running Linux on this ASUS, I'm also
super eager to further develop my skills. My vague plan at the moment is to
set up a second installation (I'm running Mint - will probably just do
another of the same) that I can play around with and not have to worry about
mucking things up so much. Suggestions would be welcome, as would be
direction in what I can do to test/contribute.

Cheers

Chris