Hi,

At 05 Feb 2002 11:26:15 +0000,
Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Nice work.  I fully agree in your change of terminology.
>
> A couple of questions.
>
> TK> + if (term->misc.locale) {
> TK> +     if (command_to_exec) {
> TK> +         command_to_exec --; /* This should be possible */
>
> Why should this be possible?

Because "command_to_exec" is set by

             case 'e':
                if (argc <= 1) Syntax (*argv);
                command_to_exec = ++argv;
                break;

in main.c 1933.  Anyway, I will change this part to use malloc() and
copy argv into the buffer, to cope with "luit -- command" (and maybe
luit -e <encoding> command").

> I'm also a wee bit worried by what happens if somebody removes luit
> from the system.  XTerm should still accept to run if exec(luit)
> fails, just print a warning and continue with no locale support.

It is a good idea.  I am now trying to implement it by modifying
execvp() and exec_file() in spawn().  However, I have no idea what
is exec_file() or what is AMOEBA system.  (There are two versions
of spawn() for AMOEBA system and other systems.)  I cannot test
the code.

BTW, I will make a few additional changes:
 - remove getenv("LC_ALL") ... defaultUTF8[] codes from main.c
   and add equivalent codes in charproc.c where I added
   getenv("LC_ALL") and so on.
 - remove defaultUTF8[] because of the above modification, without
   modifying behavior of xterm.
 - change setting string for "locale" resource: from "auto" to "medium"
   because "auto" should be appropriate for "true" because encoding
   is fully automatically set by locale in "true" mode while encoding
   is partly automatically set by locale in "auto"/"medium" mode.
   (In the mode, encoding is automatically set only for east Asian
   and UTF-8 locales while encoding is 8bit [no encoding] for other
   locales.)  Candidates for names other than "medium" are welcome,
   but not "auto".
 - Resource of "locale: UTF-8" is equivalent to "utf8: true", which
   is already implemented in the last patch.  Similary, other encodings
   will be available here, like "locale: ISO-8859-15".  This needs
   luit's improvement to specify encoding from command line option.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/