On Sunday 03 Apr 2011, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> Raju Mathur said on Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 10:22:09PM +0530,:
>  > Once again, sorry to dash cold water on expectations
>
> I fully agree and concur with the need to protect the client's
> privacy / terms of contract.

Thank you for understanding.

> 1. Debian has 3 sections - "main", "non-free" and "contrib". The
>    classification is based on licensing /and/ freeness of
>    dependencies. Apart from hardware specific packages, anything that
>    is not in Debian?

The only non-repository packages we installed (which were also FOSS,
BTW) were dealing with drivers for the specific PSTN interface equipment
connected to the Asterisk servers.  Apart from that, everything
installed is from the standard Debian repositories -- Testing on the
servers, and Stable on the clients.  As far as I know, there's nothing
from Non-free either, with the exception of some ethernet firmware
needed by newer servers.

> 2. Debian takes pride in packaging anything with a free (as in
>    freedom) license. Did you have to customise any package? (in any
>    way - like recompile against a specific library version; rebuild a
>    kernel,e tc) ?

As above, only the specific drivers and tools for the PSTN interface
hardware was compiled from source.

> 3. What was the documentation about? As you have rightly pointed, the
>    community has no use for documentation on things like reducing /
>    elevating user privileges within the installation.  Or how they
>    manage the sudoers group.

Oh, some scripting done, how to use the scripts effectively, what files
to provide the scripts in what format, how to diagnose telephony
problems, etc.  For instance, I'd mentioned that we use separate servers
for SIP registrations and PSTN dial-out, so diagnosing a tele-sales
officer not being able to call is a multi-step process -- can she ping
the SIP server?  Is her phone registered?  Is her user ID available in
the server?  Is the SIP server registered with the PSTN server?  Are
calls coming up to the SIP server?  Are they being passed to the PSTN
server?  Is a PSTN line down?  Is a PRI misbehaving?  As you can see,
each individual step is quite generic, while the whole diagnostic
process is completely tailored to the client's specific architecture and
would probably not be very useful in another context.

> Actually, I should confess that you had to do any documentation at
> all - I do an occasional single PC install, and most of
> documentation is available on the F! key.  But of course, we are not
> comparing cats and horses!

Being a good coder (I think!), I cordially detest having to do
documentation, while I fully support /other/ programmers documenting
their code and processes to the fullest extent possible :)  Tirveni's
much better at documenting stuff than I am, thank $deity!

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/