Dear Sidhu ji,

Eradication of Lantana is must and lot of work is going on in this direction
throughout the Globe as it is among the world's ten most worst invasive species
harming native flora.

But we have to keep several points in mind before eradicating it. On the basis
of my studies on birds on Abu Hills, I found that many birds had adapted
Lanatan bushes as there nesting/ roosting/ resting place. Before eradicating
the bushes, we have to provide alternative or past habitat conditions to such
fauna.

I will quote one example in this direction:
Every year Forest Department starts campaign to clean the area from Lantana on
Abu Hills. When I was there, I found one endemic subtaxa of bird (Tawny-bellied
Babbler Dumetia hyperythra abuensis) was habituated to live in the bushes at
that site and could be easily seen. In the program of cleaning the sites, the
bushes were burnt and area was made clear. Now, think what happened to the bird
which is important for the birders to come and sight....... This was the sight
which was accessible to every persons. We use to take youngsters to sight this
species but now we have to go somewhat deep inside the forest treks to sight
the species.

Similalry, Grey Jungle Fowl has made this plant species a very good hiding
place. It is not possible for poachers to access inside these bushes easily. If
the areas are cleared rampantly what will happen to the species hide.....

One of the Globally Threatened bird species is well adapted to Lanatana bushes.

Our suggestion is to plant or provide space for the native bushes to come up
before cleaning or opening the surface from Lanatana bushes so that many faunal
species which adapted to find their place in these bushes could not be harmed.

Regards

Satya Prakash Mehra
Rajputana Society of Natural History (RSNH)
Rajasthan, India