When a program becomes a GNU package, in principle that relationship
is permanent.  The program's maintainers undertake the responsibility
to develop it on behalf of the GNU Project.  Usually the initial
maintainers are the developers that brought it into the GNU Project.

A package maintainer can decide to step down, to stop maintaining the
package for the GNU Project.  Many GNU packages have been in use for
many years and are no longer maintained by their original developers.

When a package's maintainer steps down, that doesn't by itself break
the relationship between GNU and the package.  If it is left without a
maintainer but is still useful, the GNU Project will usually look for
new maintainers to work on it.  However, we can instead drop ties with
the package, if that seems the right thing to do.

A few months ago, the maintainer of GNU Libreboot decided not to work
on Libreboot for the GNU Project any more.  That was her decision to
make.  She also asserted that Libreboot was no longer a GNU package --
something she could not unilaterally do.  The GNU Project had to
decide what to do in regard to Libreboot.

We have decided to go along with the former GNU maintainer's wishes in
this case, for a combination of reasons: (1) it had not been a GNU
package for very long, (2) she was the developer who had originally
made it a GNU package, and (3) there were no major developers who
wanted to continue developing Libreboot under GNU auspices.  Given
these circumstances, to continue development of Libreboot within GNU
would not be useful, so we are not going to do so.

Thus, Libreboot is no longer a GNU package.  It remains free software.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

If you have a working or partly working program that you'd like
to offer to the GNU project as a GNU package,
see https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html.