Is FM listening fading away in Abu Dhabi? If so, I get it. If not, this just
seems like a cost cutting move which is justified by suggesting “other media”,
i.e. smartphones as the excuse.

Once it was FM that made shortwave obsolete. Now it is shortwave as an
alternative to FM?

Deep in the bowels of the BBC: