Yes, it’s back!

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that
allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift
of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

I do it while “power walking” (most) every other day (when it’s not cold and
wet or I haven’t succumbed to laziness).  The “art” of putting one foot in
front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along” while
plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do. Some of the best
radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New
Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most
programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources
such as iTunes and TuneIn. Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective
recommendations, but my interests are pretty wide-ranging. Here’s another in a
continuing series of small samplings:

——

“Plasma”
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss plasma, the fourth state of matter after solid,
liquid and gas. As over ninety-nine percent of all observable matter in the
Universe is plasma, planets like ours, with so little plasma and so much solid,
liquid and gas, appear all the more remarkable. On the grand scale, plasma is
what the Sun is made from and, when we look into the night sky, almost
everything we can see with the naked eye is made of plasma. On the smallest
scale, here on Earth, scientists make plasma to etch the microchips on which we
rely for so much. Plasma is in the fluorescent light bulbs above our heads and,
in laboratories around the world, it is the subject of tests to create, one
day, an inexhaustible and clean source of energy from nuclear fusion. (46”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07x6j4g

“Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy”
TAPESTRY - CBC Radio One
Chade-Meng Tan, a former Google software engineer turned harbinger of
happiness, offers up lessons from his book, Joy on Demand, about how to add
little slices of joy into your day.
Dr. Robert Waldinger is a psychiatrist, psychoanalyst, Zen priest, and the
fourth director of the Harvard Study of Adult Development, one of the world's
longest-running studies on human health and happiness. He reveals lessons about
what leads to a good life.
Michael Dawson decided to quit complaining for 21 days straight. It took him
six months to pull it off! Could you go 21 days without uttering a single
complaint? (55”)
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/tapestry/happy-happy-joy-joy-1.3804787

__ __

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio
Outlet
above.