Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that
allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift
of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

I do it while “power walking” (most) every other day (when it’s not cold and
wet or I haven’t succumbed to laziness).  The “art” of putting one foot in
front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along” while
plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia,
Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s
web site, most programs are made available through any number of other
amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests
and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Here’s another in
a continuing series of small samplings:

——

“A Brief History of Tomorrow”
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
The industrial revolution gave us the working class. Historian Yuval Harari
believes the digital revolution will create the useless class as technology
destroys millions of jobs. Speaking at the RSA, the Royal Society for the Arts,
Manufactures and Commerce, he says that social inequality will grow unless we
make different choices now. Otherwise the future could be ruled by a
super-elite of technocrats. (53”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/brief-history-of-tomorrow/8236782

“Understanding Islam”
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
Are fundamentalist laws written into the Koran? Do caliphates even exist as a
political system? What was the prophet’s view on women speaking up? How much is
Western culture is derived from the Abrahamic religions and traditions? And are
some core Islamic values at odds with the contemporary materialistic world? A
panel of experts tries to explain Islam. (53”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/understanding-islam/8230098

*********
CAPSULE REVIEW:  BIG IDEAS/ABC Radio National
So few radio programs really challenge their listeners.  BIG IDEAS does no
coddling—not with style, format or content.  If you’re intent on clever musical
intros and other peripherals in your programs, this one is not for you.
However, if you’re seeking straightforward intelligent presentations and
discussion centered around thoughtful ideas, you’ve arrived at your personal
oasis for a restive mind.  Social, cultural, scientific and political issues
are the currency here; and it is their richness that is respectfully
celebrated.
[http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/] for info, podcasts and
broadcast times.

__ __

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional
pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly
e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further
information, go to www.cidx.ca

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio
Outlet