Location: Shanghai (China)
Date: 12.–13.7.2017
Deadline: 20.4.2017

Nowadays the social life changes and develops so rapidly that it is
just like an over speeding car with its maximum limit. We feel like
riding a full automatic car controlled by machine, and somehow feel
confused about whether we are the drivers or merely the passengers in
this “car” of social life. Indeed, we, human beings, are supposed to
be the driver in the “car,” but we may ask: Are we alert enough
during our driving in this “car” called social life? Are we vigilant
enough where we are heading toward with our “car”? Do we still
remember where we came from? What are the responsibilities in
constructing our common future? After all, what is the purpose of
human existence? All these questions can direct to the conference
theme: re-learning to be human for global times: self-awareness of
life.

There are various aspects and different ways concerning with this
topic:

- What is the most conspicuous change taking place in our time? What
  are the major challenges in our day? Can we seize the opportunities
  to develop a better social life and to foster human flourishing?

- What is the new impact of technology on social life or on lives of
  human beings in general? Does technology master human beings or vice
  versa? What is the purpose of science and technology in human life?
  Can human beings alter the direction of science and technology
  toward the good of all?

- Have we developed much broader perspectives than the antiquity when
  we talk about the human civilization? If yes, what are the new
  understandings about human nature? How do we elaborate human nature
  according to our new situations and conditions which are rather
  different from the past? Whether human nature is essentially
  individualistic or collective? How to balance these two different
  views?

- What are the cause for the crisis of refuges? What are proper
  attitudes and ways to treat them: hospitable or hostile? How to
  balance different interests among different peoples, cultures and
  civilizations?

- What did “value” mean in the past; what does it mean to us today?
  Is it possible to recover and discover the true meaning of social
  life in this new era? How to choose a valuable and meaningful life
  in our contemporary world?

All the issues mentioned-above can be treated by philosophy,
sociology, ecology, politics, economics, axiology, epistemology, etc.
Participants may choose his/her own topic according to his/her own
interest so as to focus on one specific aspect under the general
theme.

Your creative and new ideas and insights will be appreciated.

Abstract

Please send 300 words and a brief CV to Professsor He Xirong
[h...@sass.org.cn], Shi Yongze  [s...@sass.org.cn] and
[cua-...@cua.edu] by April 20, 2017. Full papers sent by June 30,
2017 will be considered to be published by the RVP in its publication
series "Cultural Heritage and Contemporary Change".

Logistics

There is no registration fee, Travel expense will be covered by
participants (or their institutions); the local organizer will
provide accommodations during the conference.

Contact:

Professor He Xirong
Email: h...@sass.org.cn

Professor Shi Yongze